What will you serve at your Memorial Day Picnic?
This delicious Barbeque Vegan Burger recipe is something you can make ahead, freeze, and then pull out as many as you need. The recipe makes 10 super-size burgers, as you see here, or you can make them smaller to fit the average hamburger bun. You can even prepare them ahead! These were made to perfectly fit a large multugrain roll. The recipe takes about 10 -15 minutes to put together and is so simple you will make them often.
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup (leftover) cooked rice (white or brown)
1 cup chopped walnuts (not too fine)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
Extra barbeque sauce to top burgers after baking
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, partially mash the black beans.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight and continue forming and baking the burgers the next day). Allowing the mixture to sit awhile will help bind the ingredients together and makes it easier to form the burger patties.
- Form rounded 1/2 cup portions of mixture into burger shapes and place on the parchment lined pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn over and coat each burger with a layer of your favorite barbeque sauce
- Bake for another 15 – 20 minutes. (Adjust baking time according to the size of your burgers)
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings and more barbeque sauce if desired.
Happy, healthy summer eating!